Monday, February 2, 2009

Two hours with Bob

It took two hours to drive home today, a 4.5 mile journey through the snow. At least 20 minutes spent at each roundabout - got a great look at the plants. Played endless games of space invaders with the snowflakes, as they landed on the windscreen I was imagining that by focussing my attention on them I was melting them with my eyes. I had two cds in the car to help pass the time. One was the infamous lost CD out of 8, the unfortunately crap book cd which shall remain nameless. The other was Bob Marley, whom I thought it might be rather fun and ironic to listen to in the snow. Bopping along to my Carribean tunes watching snow fights, by the second time "Sun is Shining" came around, I was ready to Bop Bob if I saw him, although he's good too in that situation, generous with giving lots of lines to his backing singers, in this case me, so it kept me going.
But I couldn't help thinking darker thoughts, as is my wont to do. It's a tough time for me you see.... first snow of the year. Reminds me of a loved one past. It was two years ago, in lovely Denmarkland, and myself and Mr VC2B had given birth to a beautiful snow man, our first. He was tall, made of fluffy virginal snow, a cheeky carrot nose, and we loved him very much. He even featured on my christmas card this year.



A few hours into his young life, we made a crucial mistake. We should have stayed with him, but we were selfish, decided we wanted to go out, our needs were more important than his. Stupidly we left him, on his own.... near a ledge... in the cold.
Yes readers, I know... and please turn away now if you are of a sensitive disposition.
On our return.... from the pub.... (oh god the shame....) We found him gone from the spot where he'd so proudly stood...
A thorough search of the area yeilded this macabre sight in the nearby car park...

We'll never know what really happened, but all I can say is please keep this in mind when you're out cavorting with your snow men this spring, cherish them, don't take them for granted, just give them your love.

5 comments:

Domestic Oub said...

hope you stayed home today!

Anonymous said...

Funny, you spent 2 hours with Bob - and Bobby was the name of our snowman last seen (at full height) at 11 last night. This morning he had shrunk, hat blown off and carrot nose protruding from the top of his squished head.
Is there a connection? D'you think our Bobby went off (with your last year's model) to join the Foreigh Legion of Snowmen, marching to the music of Marley (can't quite imagine that march, but still).

Niamh B said...

No I didn't. I did something twice as idiotic. Got up early, went to work, worked all day - even taking less than I really should have for lunch break. Then decided the traffic looked bad outside, and perhaps slightly haunted by DQs comment that I would predictably be in work, being the boring sensible one, I decided to chance walking home instead - oh the adventure.. how it beckoned. Reality was that traffic was only slow for the first half hour, and I would have been home alot quicker by car. Plus I'd have the car with me now, instead of having it being broken into right now at the industrial estate. Highlights in terms of the actual adventure included; a slow race with a blue truck, discovering that my shoes are not as good as wellies, walking along ankle deep in soft clean white snow - along the saddle of the grass verge around by Neilstown, crossing the M50 on foot again, getting caught in the crossfire of an extremely short lived snowball fight between strangers, getting home. Wrecked now, legs a tingle from the cold, need to call a cab for the morning. Shoulda gone with Bob.

Niamh B said...

Hi anon - was typing my other tale of woe while you were typing yours, Am quite sure there's a link there, and the march would be easy enough to carry off, I still had his songs ringing in my head all the way home this evening, so I know - it is marchable. Sorry for your loss anyway - only those who have lost a snowman can really understand the pain

Domestic Oub said...

Oh Cushions, poor you... sounds just like a decision I would have made too... sigh. Hate this bloody snow...