Monday, September 13, 2010

Cultural Vulturehood: Part 1

So I went to see Alan Stanford last Thursday night, giving his Beckett address at the Dun Laoghaire Mountains to the sea festival. Dissappointingly, Beckett's address wasn't mentioned at all, and me with my Christmas card list out and ready to add to, Alan was very entertaining and theatrical though so I guess that made up for it.
He started off with Occam's razor and parsimony, going to great lengths and along many tangents to describe how simplicity is better than complication.
He focussed in on "Waiting for Godot" and "Endgame"
He's been doing Waiting For Godot every other year for more than 20 years at this stage. Reckons that only one magical night in Shanghai the production was perfect - because they all just let the words talk for themselves. They added nothing.
The fight against bringing too much of yourself and your own interpretations etc is the biggest difficulty with the play, trying to overanalyse it is another folly according to himself. It is what it is. I haven't seen it, but look forward to it sometime. You could say I can't wait, but I can (and I must)

2 comments:

Titus said...

I hope this becomes a regular slot. I'm feeling rather cutting edge now.

Niamh B said...

Oh yes, I assure you, I will keep you well up to date.