Friday, June 5, 2009

Photo Blast From the Past


10 years ago, in my bedroom, in a terraced house in Cork. My boyfriend is a dentistry student, which might explain the tooth paste on the mantlepiece. My bed is pushed up beside the blocked up chimney, so I can use the mantlepiece as a shelf. Fliers, posters, artwork, beermats, and college notes fight for space on the confused blue and yellow flowered wall paper. Brick phone at the end of the shelf, you never lose your phone in these days. I’m reaching for a cup of tea, which sits beside the two plastic alarm clocks. I’d bought one after giving mine away to a comedian who needed to get up for a train back to Dublin. The other was given to me by another comedian in repayment. I have my docks on in bed, no sheets, quilt wrapped around like a nest, I’m comfortable. A second cup of tea – probably belongs to the photographer. My jeans are too short, or my legs too long, there’s a gap of black socks. Off to Germany soon for a “many things” kinda summer, mostly fun, friendship, poverty, singsongs, lots of alcohol, sausages posted over from home.

An idea from Dominic Rivron’s blog – great idea, (pity the picture is so smudgy) – c’mon folks I’ve shown you mine, 200 words on a self from the past, told in the present tense. Go on – you know you want to...

12 comments:

Dominic Rivron said...

Good one! Like The Doors poster. Doesn't it give you an eerie feeling when you put these things into a computer and find you can blow them up? I know I found that with mine. It was almost like stepping into the shot.

Niamh B said...

Fairly creepy alright, hard to choose a photo, although it's a pity it's so blurry, it's a digital photo of the photo, some day in another ten years maybe I'll take another super sonic holographic image (or something) of the laptop with this post open on it, and keep doing that, every ten years, till I run out of technology...

Rachel Fox said...

To begin with I thought it was just my eyes...
Hello

Niamh B said...

Hiya Rachel,
Thanks for calling in - Nope your eyes are fine, it's just that I'm too lazy to dig out the scanner which doesn't really work too well anyway

Totalfeckineejit said...

Jayney Mac, I've slept rough in more luxury.

Niamh B said...

I haven't - I mean 2 alarm clocks! where else would you get it?

Huhtikuunnoita said...

Nice foto and story :o)
I mus look my old pictures...

Niamh B said...

Yeah it's a fun idea, looking forward to seeing yours!

Tomaltach said...

No photo - just a mental picture. Here's my attempt:

1985, leaving the orchard near our house, wandering back, thinking. Better get home. Next year I start secondary, I'll be one of the big boys. But scary; pity none of my friends are going to the same school. I hope the teachers are nice. They say the Brothers are strict. But there aren't many of them left in the school. I wonder will daddy get a job before I start school; if not he might give me a lift the odd day. I can't believe he started smoking again, after 8 years. Imagine, 8 years. I think it was my aunty meena offered him his first one. I thought I heard her sayin 'go on' as I came in from the yard. I see Mammy's at the door; she's massive, I wonder if it'll be a girl or a boy. It's due in a few weeks...I hope we’re going to the bog tomorra, Daddy said Gabriel might give us a hand… I miss my uncle, he was my best friend, but now, after he got married he's always with... 21 and married, wild young. Nine years older than me. I'll hardly be married in nine years, I'll never get married.

Niamh B said...

Thanks for that Tomalteach, lovely altogether - but did you ever change your mind?

Tomaltach said...

Indeed I did. I got married four years ago. Not quite at the tender age of 21 as you'll have worked out. More like 32 I was.

I am a bit fascinated by the subject of memory and how, as we grow older, we evaluate, or rather re-evaluate, experiences we had earlier.

Niamh B said...

Memories are kind of the wealth of your life so far aren't they? Proof to yourself of who you are, and maybe who you can be in future. Tis interesting alright.

"Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" is a great movie kinda on the topic. "50 first dates" is not.