Friday, April 9, 2010

Anamaría Crowe Serrano on the Radio!!

This weekend I'm welcoming the fabulous poet Anamaría Crowe Serrano into the Sunday Scrapbook hot seat. The theme she has chosen to base the show around is
"Sound and Silence" a perfect theme for radio, I think you'll agree.

In her own words:

"I’m Irish and live in Dublin. If you’re wondering about the Serrano bit of my surname, it’s a long story. In a nutshell, it’s my mother’s surname. She’s Spanish, which means I grew up in Ireland as a bit of an outsider. I learnt to be comfortable with difference from early on. Sometimes I think it contributed to my becoming a poet.
My working life has always revolved around languages. I’ve taught Spanish on and off in various universities and privately, and have been a translator for about 20 years. More recently I’ve managed to devote myself exclusively to poetry translation (contemporary Italian poetry) which, to me, is about the closest thing to heaven I can think of. I feel very lucky to be able to do something I love so much.
A lot of my work is collaborative. It’s stimulating to bounce ideas off like-minded people. One person I’ve worked with is the Italian poet Annamaria Ferramosca. We published an experimental poetic dialogue in two languages, Paso Doble (Empiria, Rome, 2005), where part of each poem is in English (the bits I wrote) and part in Italian (the bits she wrote).
In 2008 Shearsman (UK) published Femispheres, my first collection of poems. More recently, I’ve had poems published in the second Seven Towers Census Anthology and in the Landing Places anthology (Dedalus Press). "

Join us on Sunday at 4pm on Liffey Sound - (link on the right there as always) for a feast of Sound with the odd bit of Silence thrown in for good measure. (That's 7pm in Novosibirsk!!!) or play catch up some time on Monday (OTHERWISE KNOWN AS BUS DAY!!!) at http://sundayscrapbook.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Totalfeckineejit said...

Thank you for that info, by sheer coincidence I happen to be in Novosibirsk on Sunday attending the annual idiots convention.

Niamh B said...

Ah well, I only hope the show doesn't clash with any of the important idiots workshops...
You could listen on headphones maybe...