Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Longford Man Found


The first question from Mr VC, on the subject of Monday's Glór Session, (as it is now definitely being called, now that my entire readership has failed to come up with anything better, shame on all four of you - the lollipop goes to DQ for effort at least) -Mr VC asked (after having asked how my reading went, and saying he missed me terribly while cruising around the Aran Islands, and luxuriating on various Trá-inna.) - the next first question was - "Was the Longford Guy there?" The infamous, aforementioned Longford guy - well readers, he was. And as an intrepid reporting type blogger who always gets her facts straight for her reading public, I insisted on accosting said Longford Guy and finding out his real name in the public interest, so you can google him, etc - His name was...... Charlie Walker. Isn't that a great name? Anyway, he played his great song, and I will be posting a link to the video of it whenever it comes out.
Other than that, the night consisted of the usual high quality musicians and poets, all blowing your mind in various ways, richly rich with stuff and things.
Orla Martin was genius - with some very very funny songs, and rounding off with a great poem. People were shouting for more, begging to find out when she's back (it's some time in Autumn - definitely not one to miss). Quincy - brought us on an atmospheric journey in a long and winding poem that had every one in a bit of a trance. The legend Eddie - who can be caught there most weeks had a fantastic song about a drinking competition between God and the Devil (I think God won) (should they be in bold do you think? since other people names are? or is giving them caps enough?) (I love that new song about No One Laughing at God by the way - spine tingling whoever it is - check it out on this page if you haven't heard it yet). The Dredded poet was on as well, can't remember his name, (I wouldn't mind but I did have a pen and paper on me, why wouldn't I ever use them) I'd seen him once before there as well. I love the ideas in his poems, eg "Would you Die for Peace" etc, and the confidence with which he reads them. There was another genius on at the very end... again, I'm sorry, I didn't catch his name,,, and I wasn't even drinking, just high on the toasted sandwiches I guess, (yes there were free toasted sangers as well as the lollipops) - but he was one of the best poets I've seen all year, maybe it's just that his poem was the most relateable, but it was just full of simple, gorgeous, moving images from childhood - hope to see him again and I'll let you know his name too, for the moment let's call him School Boy poet.
Stephen James was his usual energetic self, heckling me for even mentioning Cloverfield - saying it was a crap film... And I thought the guy had taste up to that moment, (I mean he even let me read so...) anyway another great night was had by all, (notwithstanding the fact that I won a pint I could not avail of because of driving, yeah there was a raffle as well - there's nothing this night doesn't have, fireworks, indoor swimming pool, heated underflooring in the bathrooms, ok - well there really was a raffle) - as expected, beginning to take it for granted now, that it'll be great - will let you know if it's ever not, I promise.

8 comments:

Domestic Oub said...

Man, if I knew there were going to be toasties, I'd made a super human effort to be there!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Longford man found! Any sign of Tollund man? If so tell him to bog off!

Emerging Writer said...

It sounds like a blast. Are you going next Monday? I might tag along.

Niamh B said...

DO, yeah toasted cheese and ham, the cheese and beef were weirdly exciting as well.

TFE, no - efforts to locate Tollund man have so far failed - he is feared swallowed by an ear worm.

EW, it's all lies, it's crap really... No - actually I think I will go again next week, and finally be a relaxed happy spectator, as opposed to a quivering wreck, so yeah I'd tag with you if you're tagging.

beedlemama said...

Sorry I missed it, will try and make it next Monday... just a quick question.. dredded or dreaded?!

Niamh B said...

Haha BM - I was dreading that comment! The answer is I never leave a typo uncorrected, so dredded is what was meant.

beedlemama said...

quick and nimble as always various! And your spelling correct... I will bring in a star sticker tomorrow!

Niamh B said...

Hope it's a gold one :-)