Thursday, May 27, 2010

Noel Sweeney on the Radio

This weekend our guest on the Sunday Scrapbook is the most exciting Noel Sweeney.

Noel Sweeney (AKA sweeney) in his own words, is an atypical bog man from Tipperary now stranded in Dublin. A being more at home performing in kitchens. Pubs. Meeting squares and street corners. When tempted on stage he can be a revelation. If he gets it right.
Also in his own words...
"This spin is eternal and ever growing. The recitals to be heard is a harvest reaped from Dublins city. I've hid my poems there, behind park benches, window sills in coffee stops, at meeting squares, even under her cobbled streets, sharing space with dead vikings and the blood of martyrs, they wait. Soaked in the phlegm of the common man, buried in the filth scattered by the mob they pulsate. Hibernating. Primed to rush by the muse that enlivens, a salve’s smear eyeballing the posse of knowing. Annointing all. Making fly. Sourced from the ether streaming blessed things. Lifting skirts, knocking crowns from heads and tales. Insistent. To fill the void they’ll come. By faith I hear them..."

Noel has chosen the theme of Dublin City for our show, and if you're not listening in - you'll only have yourself to blame...

It's on as always on Sunday at 4pm (6pm in Istanbul) on Liffey Sound (link there on the right)... what better way to shake off the Eurovision hangover?

Find the show in the archives Sundayscrapbook.blogspot.com soon after that.

6 comments:

Totalfeckineejit said...

How many people can you fit on your radio , without them falling off? I'm's luffin Dubberland so I is going to leesten to this one fer sure!

Niamh B said...

I can hardly believe it myself TFE. 6 years living in Dublin, 3 years in a writing group in Dublin, and I'm only getting to meet a real Dub poet now...
It'll be one not to miss, for sure.

(and do you not listen EVERY week?!? for shame!)

Titus said...

That quote!
That quote!
etc.

Niamh B said...

Titus - I know, it reminds me of the dontcha song, "dontcha wish you could write off the cuff like that" - if those are his promo words, what must the poems be like... tune in to find out.

Unknown said...

I'm heartbroken to find out that I missed a fellow sween... My nickname's sween machine, for those who are in the know.

Niamh B said...

Jessica, you'll find the show at http://sundayscrapbook.blogspot.com

and you should, seriously, it was a good un!