Friday, February 11, 2011

Things about growing new people


You lose your mind, very quickly you turn into a shell, controlled by remote from your centre of gravity by a little shrimpy thing that doesn't like what you used to like and has no interest in the things you used to care about. The battle begins.
Your self gets unruly, parts start doing things and making shapes you were never used to, it says "you must have cycled 10 hours today", though you haven't seen a bike in weeks, or says "it's nearly midnight, time for bed" - even though it's only a quarter past eight.
You look forward to being kicked from the inside, it becomes a routine entertainment. You're relieved, as it means they're still there, still busy being.
In the big scan, you hold your breath while the nice girl in uniform runs her supermarket scanner over you, delving through the depths of your depths, and goes through the checklist, "yes there's a heart, good, 4 chambers, ok here's the right kidney..." too long a silence "...and here's the left". You leave it shaken, not having thought of all the things that could go wrong.
Most of all, you look forward to reaching the end of your belly button, you wonder if you should get a tattoo at the bottom of it to prove you were there at least once...

10 comments:

Peter Goulding said...

Funny, I never experienced any of those things when we grew our two. Okay, it was a bit of an inconvenience to have to help the missus carry the sacks of coal out to the back yard but all in all, I found it a doddle.

Rachel Fox said...

Hope it's all going well. The tiredness can be overwhelming - never known tiredness like it... particularly at the beginning.
x

Louise said...

Change can be crazy, and you've had a lot of it, don't worry, it grows on you!

Niamh B said...

Peter, that was very kind of you, you must be the romantic type that I hear so much about.
Yes Rachel, happily it's all going grand, very lucky, and yes, that tiredness was crazy. Have never been so fond of sleep - and I was fond of sleep anyway.
Ah yeah Socks, it's all good. :-)

Totalfeckineejit said...

I know exactly how you feel. I have a beer belly.

Unknown said...

What does it mean if I have these symptoms and no excuse of growing a new person? I particularly feel I've experienced the 'it's nearly midnight' phenomenon regularly. Fortunately no one kicks me from the inside yet. Just the outside. Which at least you can see coming.

The Bug said...

I'm with Jessica - all the tiredness & none of the bringing forth of new life :) I think I just need to exercise more.

I'm enjoying your discussions of how you're feeling - you're a good writer, so that makes them more interesting than just "normal" people's ramblings.

Niamh B said...

TFE, I don't know what to say, congratulations!? I hear the morning sickness can really suck with that though.
Jessica - probably might mean you're just like me before I had the excuse. kicks from the outside - sometimes they can be fun too ie "teenage kicks right through the night" etc.
Bug - extra exercise is always a good idea, I've been told, never risked trying it. And thanks for the compliment - glad you find them interesting :-)

Domestic Oub said...

oh, what a brilliant idea to tattoo the end of ones belly button! I wish I'd thought of that... I'd have to go for number 5 to do it...hmmmm... it really is a great idea...

Niamh B said...

it's gotto be worth it oub!