Saturday, February 5, 2011

TFE's driving the bus again!!!

Well it's almost that time of week again, and since I'm not in Kansas any more, having mad dreams in Cork....
(and when I say mad, I mean barmy, I mean like dreams of people breaking into my house and leaving the fish outside the fish tank and then leaving a mouse bound and gagged inside in the water - though he wasn't drowned, and then also leaving a kitten's head in a lunch box, also in the fish tank, again inexplicably not dead - at least until I opened the lunch box lid at which point it looked over at me accusingly and then died - not unlike dominic rivron's lizard in a lump of coal - anyway, very Murakami - analyse that)
..... it suits well to have a mad challenge - this week's was to visit the lovely Photograph Prose website and submit a poem to suit an image. I wrote about a photo by our very leader, Mr Peadar, and i hope you will enjoy it - over here

It's a sonnet btw, a fact I'm unreasonably proud of.

Unreasonableness goes with being a 15.5 year old on average.

Other bussers will be found over here in the fullness of time

Here's the poem, though the link seems to be working ok for me now. Can't seem to steal the image from the site, but it's a park bench on the beach beside the waves.



Alone At Last

The sky is cool, soaks fevers from my feet
and I am drawn with surer lines today
My shadow trembles where unclouded sands
with grains can spark or lie like mud, like clay
Low groans and grumbles of machines that pass
They cursed the road then licked up through my fears
and tired tyres splashed pools of broken glass
It all was changed, yet stayed the same for years
The park far off, I’ve left the slides and swings
and carried troubles through the windless air
In pale sunlight I sing out to the spray
and in the waves cold fish watch on, don’t care
For how one bench departs where edges meet
Cool skies look on while fevers grip my feet

14 comments:

Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

The link doesn't seem to be working, Niamh, so I was unable to read the poem. As I am "unreasonably" interested, please fix or post it on your blog ;)

The Bug said...

Well darn - it was there this morning! I had picked the same picture, so I referenced it in my bus post (scheduled to go up in the morning). But now it's not there. Wonder what happened?

I liked it a lot by the way, especially the part about hot feet (or was it something else - I was going to reread it before commenting).

Totalfeckineejit said...

Brokeneded.

Niamh B said...

have added the poem into the post now, couldn't steal the photo tho from the site, though the link is working alright now.

Louise said...

Great poem. The photo might have gone because they have picked a piece to go with it, probably yours! Really liked the poem, and those dreams, never write them down, I did that once, and when I look the notes now, my madness is confirmed!!!

Louise said...

Your poem is now up with the image on the website, well done.

Ally - Photograph Prose said...

Thanks for a great piece, Niamh. It is now officially posted here: http://bit.ly/efWltk

Domestic Oub said...

Love. This. Poem.

Titus said...

Wonderfully done, Niamh; sometimes writing to such a tight form brings a density to the thoughts and images which is incomparable.
I loved this line,
It all was changed, yet stayed the same for years
but it's a great whole poem, and what's more, the image is by the man himself! Perfecto!

Totalfeckineejit said...

You really couldn't go wrong with that pic.

Words A Day said...

Cool skies look on while fevers grip my feet - really like that last line, and the repetition.A sonnet, be proud! I would!

Niamh B said...

Thanks Socks! Yes the dreams can be mad betimes, they just go to prove that lack of imagination isn't a problem, just lack of application.
Thanks Ally, it's a great site, delighted to take part.
Thanks Oub. Very. Kind.
Yes indeed Titus, hard to go wrong with the master's work.
As I said TFE!
Tks Words, what's quite sad was that I forgot I had changed, ie messed around, the rhyming scheme until well after i had posted.

Anil P said...

Loved the line: My shadow trembles where unclouded sands
with grains can spark or lie like mud

Anil P said...

Loved the line: My shadow trembles where unclouded sands
with grains can spark or lie like mud