Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Bug's Bus

This week the lovely bug is driving the poetry bus. I wrote a poem for it two days ago, based on the sofa in the meadow, but lost it this morning through the magical mystery of the interweb, so here's a rewrite. Don't forget to call to the Bug, just here, to see the other passengers.


So Far Sofa

We made a fort of furniture and blankets

And lifted legs while someone else vacuumed

Pushed two odd ends together for a bad night’s sleep

Clinging to each other in a friend’s rented rooms

The foamy arms that held us all the way through

Soaps and sickness, the rich and poor of rented videos

Have found damp love with ferns and mice and hedges

Invading wilderness with civil sitting down

11 comments:

Louise said...

Good one Various. It would be interesting if the first poem turned up to compare!

Peter Goulding said...

Some fantastic images here. Its obvious you're writing for two now.

Batteson.Ind said...

very nice :-) there is something mother earthy about this, possibly due to THOSE hormones?... mine went haywire and I turned into some large uber-hippy, cuddling trees, laying down in mud, refusing to wear shoes whenever possible, the kid even got a suitably weird name too becuse of it! I love out door sofas :-)

Totalfeckineejit said...

Sofa , so good. I likes! Foamy soapy sickness, oddds and ends, rich and poor, mice and hedges.What more could a poem want? It's all in there in the upholstery.

The Bug said...

I like it! It's sad to see the things that helped grow our love get cast aside, but it's a necessary passage of life.

Enchanted Oak said...

I re-lived my early life through your poem!Those "foamy arms" are delicious.

Niamh B said...

Thanks a mill, socks - tis lost forever.
Peter - little one is not into this writing malarkey at all - making it v difficult.
Cats - would love to live somewhere warm enough to enjoy more outdoor sofas!!
Tks TFE, if various cushions couldn't write a sofa poem there'd be something badly wrong somewhere.
Bug - it's true - we sometimes seem to just live to consume, I'd be bad at throwing things away though, am definitely going to be a clutter magnet in my old age.
Thanks Oak, glad you enjoyed!

Emerging Writer said...

When I had a bump, I found I couldn't concentrate/remember for long so maybe cue lots of short poems. Like the damp love line a lot

Kat Mortensen said...

Aw! "Damp love with ferns and mice an hedges" was my favourite bit. I used to drag other people's Christmas trees to my backyard to shelter the little mice and critters.

Karen said...

Wonderful! You've captured a whole lifetime in these lines.

Jinksy said...

A very vivid rendition..I loved the last lines...

Have found damp love with ferns and mice and hedges Invading wilderness with civil sitting down.