Saturday, February 19, 2011

On Sock's poetry Bus

This week socks is driving and she gave us a range of options to choose from for our bus ticket - I went with the prompt - Write a poem beginning with the words "I knew a woman who"

The result was the following silliness - better poems will be found here over the next few days, so be sure to click over and check em out.

.

I knew a woman

.

I knew a woman who always kept an arm outside the covers

The right one mostly, kept it cool, infuriated lovers

Who’d be woken by an icy limb at 3 or 4, the morning

Or find the quilt a captured, twisted, taken without warning

She kept her head aloft and rested high on fluffy pillows

While her arm pit forked the duvet down, she thought it was just brillo

One night her husband begged her for the sake of his own sanity

To stay wrapped up, but she said “Love, spare me the inanity.

What would you like? A law abiding, boring Mrs Proper?”

“That is my name” he muttered, “But..” and before he could stop her

She’d stood up on her head in bed, her nightie upside down

And juggled several night lights, sang a cheerful Jackson Browne

The neighbours banged the wall, and shouted “Propers, are you serious?”

“Oh neighbours you should try this” said our woman, “I’m delerious”

And she looked oh so pretty, happy, doing her own thing,

That Mr Proper laughed and joined beside her with one spring

The pair, they sleep like that each night, and life’s better than ok

Though neither seem to get much done when time comes round for day

20 comments:

Peter Goulding said...

An absolute classic!! Vive les Propers!

Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

Good fun! I think I knew this woman, too.

Kat Mortensen said...

You've got such a great wit and imagination!
I'm with Mrs. Proper; I'm known to throw all the covers off AND I sleep with two freezer packs rolled in towels!

I've never done that upside down nightie thing, but I can sing Jackson Browne. I expect it was "Running on Empty" that she was singing the next day, was it?


Kat

Niamh B said...

Les Propers!! they could start a revolution (from their bed) thanks Peter
Thanks Lorenzo, hope you didn't know her too well.
Kat, I haven't tried the upside down either, but I suspect it might be draughty, safer to leave it in fiction methinks. Not particularly acrobatic myself this weather!

Louise said...

Can I say/write, you never cease to amaze me. Planning on spending the whole day with upside down Mrs Proper in my mind's eye!!!

The Bug said...

LOL - this was great fun. My mom used to stick her feet out from under the covers, but I don't think she did the one-arm thing. Of course, this was the woman who would walk barefoot in the snow :)

Totalfeckineejit said...

Brilliant funny nonsense that actually makes sense in the poetry dept. A+ and a merit badge.Making words and babies you are entering the golden age of your creativity.

Titus said...

Magnifique! We're trying it tonight. Goodbye my three hot water bottles!

Dominic Rivron said...

Pleased I dropped in. Lost for words. :)

Niamh B said...

tks socks! and thanks for the great prompts
Tks Bug - she sounds like a tough woman!!
Tk you TFE, I don't know about a golden age, but sure we'll keep on troopin on!
Oh Titus, hope you don't do yourselves an injury! Don't throw out the HWBs just yet!
Tks Dominic, glad you enjoyed :-)

Titus said...

Ouch.

Karen said...

Fun, fun, fun! Proper names for these folks!

izzy said...

well done! and really fun.Hope you'll do more with the Proper's. Thanks

Niamh B said...

Tks Karen! Wouldn't ya love if that was your name though? I would.
And Izzy, thanks too, what a thought! A series of proper poems, I fear the impact might be lost if I tried to stretch it too far though...

Lucy Westenra said...

Nice when someone escapes the predictable, endless introspection.

Niamh B said...

Thanks Lucy, and welcome

MuseSwings said...

It's good to reinvent "proper". I do it all the time. Properly proper is so boring and lifeless and sleepless. Funny and proper poem!

Cad said...

I must try this with my Ada! LOL

Niamh B said...

Thanks Muse swings :-)
and cad - do let us know how it goes!!!

Trellissimo said...

A fun read!