Sunday, February 8, 2009

Some Day all this could be yours


YES FOLKS - Even if you have forgotten about the Rubbish Poetry challenge, (and who could blame you if you have - what with the place looking so clean and tidy with all the rubbish covered with a layer of white - the rubbish and the weeds, and the dirty car - ain't snow brilliant?), I haven't, and I still have the rubbish prize to prove it... And I will dole it out some day - but above is a reminder of what you could win: - bonus leaves picked up with the rubbish as well - (for the poem inspired by these items - see January's calling all rubbish poets post.)
Anyway - in other news - Lucan Teen Writers celebrated being one year old yesterday with a great display of their literary prowess and artistry, they didn't celebrate by singing happy birthday to themselves, left me stupidly trailing off on it, after line one, with the chocolate swissroll I bought them, too cool for the singin and the candle - but they ate the cake alright, course. The display is up in the local library right now, and will be for about a month - but for those of you who can't make it there, here's a snapshot:



So in other news - various is promised, and various is what you get - I read my short story last night. The new Rua place is great. I was last up as it turned out, and it was a bit of a squeeze fitting everyone in, timewise, I wasn't sure whether to be worried about whether I'd get to read, or whether I'd be utterly crap if I got to read. I got to read, and hopefully wasn't utterly crap, but it was another first over and done with, and people from the second row back say they didn't even notice the warm snot dripping from my nose from the middle of the second paragraph onwards, so that was nice of them.

Now I can't sleep, altho it's really early on a sunday morning, snow is tinkling down outside, and I should do some work on D'aul novel - so I think I will now.

Here's saturday's snippet, it's a bit less horrific than the last one: inspired by a clothes peg, and a piece of real fur that some despicable animal killer brought to the group:

The pegs were a present, what kind of a housewarming present was that, pinks and greens, she left em on the line, basket lost long ago, what was the point of carryin em in and out, in and out, all day, hardly ever left clothes out anyway, this weather, hardly ever washed clothes, turn the jumper inside out, back to front, you'd hardly see the stains at all. These pegs were getting her goat though, why had they gotten so flimsy, freeze thaw action? Shoulda taken better care of them. A money spider or 2 living in each and every one, under the spring, between the clasps, stupid things snapped at the top if she grabbed em too quick. She cursed the plastic shards that littered the lawn, didn't pick em up; let feckin next doors dog eat em, next time he's in, let him choke on em, she'd make a nice scarf from his tail.

(If my aunty is reading... yes your present of pegs partly inspired this, but they were a great present, they are brilliant pegs, and they live firmly indoors, and they don't break easily)

No comments: