Monday, February 9, 2009

28 People you are not allowed Marry

Not a lot of people know this - but you have to give at least 3 months notice to "The State" when you intend to marry someone.
I gave my 3 months and 2 a half hours notice today, although I was a bit early, so it was more like 3 months and 3 hours notice, the guy thought I was cutting it tight either way.
He flirted with me, while we waited for Mr VCTB, obviously a deliberate tactic, If you can resist a man with such power as a Registrar, then you're really ready. Then he tested me on my general knowledge of t'other half. I didn't know his birthday, place of birth, middle name, job description, who his main witness would be, or his PPS number. I did know his mother's maiden name. Strange.
Anyway the list of people a woman may not marry was the most exciting part of the transaction, had to review and see that the Fiancee didn't fit in any of the following categories.

A woman may not marry her:
1 Grandfather
2 Grandmother's husband
3 Husband's grandfather
4 Father's brother
5 Mother's brother
6 Father's sister's husband
7 Mother's sister's husband
8 Husband's father's brother
9 Husband's mother's brother
10 Father
11 Stepfather
12 Husband's father
13 Son
14 Husband's son
15 Daughter's husband
16 Brother
17 Son's son
18 Daughter's son
19 Son's daughter's husband
20 Daughter's daughter's husband
21 Husband's son's son
22 Husband's daughter's son
23 Brother's sons
24 Sister's son
25 Brother's daughter's husband
26 Sister's daughter's husband
27 Husband's brother's son
28 Husband's sister's son

And vice versa for the man ie - start the list with Grandmother instead, and change the sexes as you go down the way.
Number 23 is not my typo - you're not allowed marry your brother's sons - your brother's son singular is not mentioned.
Suddenly I have 28 new novel ideas..... or at least 28 plotlines for Rikki Lake
By the way sincerest apologies if this ruins anyone's Valentines plans

2 comments:

Radge said...

My Valentines plans revolve around waiting for a new fridge to arrive. Consider them unruined.

Niamh B said...

Hope it's a good fridge.... always exciting.