Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Siúcra


Did anyone else’s mother ever say Siúcra or Sugar when they really wanted to say a bad word?  How about Fruitcake!?  I find “Jiminy Meepers” is my go to phrase for expressing frustration or shock…. It’s so effective I’ve started using it when in an adult context away from little ears…
Anyway back to the sugar – It’s just occurred to me that at least part of why that word was used for something bad is because it is something bad.  I’ve been reading a bit more lately on Sugar, and how it’s the new salt.. (black is the new black) in terms of health.  Some even believe it is a poison  http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/24/robert-lustig-sugar-poison
So I’ve taken charge of my life and decided to see how difficult it is to avoid… Here’s how it’s been going so far.  Sunday – no sugar on my wheetabix, (plenty of lime though if you must know), no chocolate when the kids went to bed, or at any other time of the day… The only little bit of sugar that snuck in was in the peanut butter I had with a  cracker at one stage… So Monday happens, I go to work, someone’s back from holidays and has brought cookies, it’d be rude not to, so I have two, to be doubly sure not to be rude… Yesterday – at work, I am informed that I must taste our range of sugar v’s a new supplier’s sugar… yes – Demerara, soft brown dark, soft brown light, icing, caster and granulated… all of it…!! Do you think it was a sign?  followed by my birthday – cake followed by more cake…
Back on the wagon today.  Sugar free me…!!!!!!!


 

4 comments:

The Bug said...

I REALLY need to swear off of sugar - I have such a horrible sweet tooth. Sigh. And I know it makes me a moody bitc---sugar!

Tríona said...

I need to swear of sugar. And alcohol (sugar really....) And salt. And fat...and...

Niamh B said...

Tis a great experiment Bug, very little can go wrong really!!

And Triona, that doesn't leave you with much left.... but yeah - it's all bad in the wrong dose, just that I've been double dosing on sugar for a while...

Anonymous said...

I realised soon after meeting my partner that she had innocuous word-substitutes for all sorts of foul utterances. So "sugar" was "sh*t", etc. You say the first sound of the word and in the millisecond that follows you can deflect the old brain-cells into saying something harmless.