Monday, October 6, 2008

The Fly


I have a pet fly who has been accompanying me to and from work for the last week or so. It's a bit weird. It's a small one, with 6 superthin legs, almost the shape of a mosquito - but bigger. Not that I really know what a mosquito looks like. He sits on my windscreen, and I keep having a quick little guilty panic when I turn on the wipers, cos I think I'm about to crush him, but then I remember he's on the inside. He's a remarkable little fellar really, withstands all kinds of temperatures, from the icy cold we've had in Lucan lately, to the near sauna conditions, that I sometimes have the urge to experience via the heaters in my car. He's also extremely well travelled, for a fly. What other little fly can say he's travelled 500 miles or so in each of the 2.5 or however many weeks they live? (not including those sneaky smug little buggers that come in on aeroplanes). My fly has really seen the world. And to think, I tried to shoo him out the window when I first saw him. I mean he's extremely well behaved too. Never flies into my face when I drive, unless of course he's planning something, lulling me into a false sense of security. Although he's not really a fly that looks like he's planning something, not the type of fly that rubs his front hands together - not like those sneaky blue bottle feckers. Enough! If you're still reading this - I commend your endurance - you probably watch the apprentice too, hell you could be the apprentice, you should enter next year.

3 comments:

Colm Keegan said...

You need to get out more! I stuck with that to the end, and i'll never make an aprentice, or a fisherman for that matter.

Colm Keegan said...

That's not to say I didn't find it entertaining. My heart was in my mouth when the wipers went on! Keep em coming!

T said...

how peculiar... I definately remember writing a comment on this post... yet none exists... I remember typing in the swirly letters to prove I'm not an evil spammerbot. Hmm.. It was something witty about the apprentice...sigh, lost forever...

ps Kill the fly! GERMS!!!! or something...